woensdag 19 augustus 2015

Nick Cave Studies (3): Studious Summer

The actual start of the academic year is nigh. Over the past eight weeks, I've read two novels by Cave, listened to his music and watched movies he either wrote or soundtracked (or both). When I wasn't doing that, I was reading and listening to his influences: Faulkner, Nabokov, Hank Williams, Elvis, Johnny Cash et cetera. 

Furthermore, I've been digging deep into OOR's archives to uncover a plethora of Cave (and Cave related) articles and interviews. OOR is the eldest of music magazines in the Netherlands, with a reputation similar to that of NME or Rolling Stone. Over the past 35 years Nick Cave became one of their spearhead artists, spending pages on him with every release (album, compilation, movie, bowel movements).

A page from the OOR Archives (1984)

What I haven't done, is put anything resembling coherent ideas on paper. Everything is cooped up inside my brain waiting (impatiently, I might add) to be thrusted upon the page like splashes of paint on a Herman Brood canvas. I've got notebooks, napkins, and airline sick bags full of doodles, squiggly lines and general braindump.

It's a mess. I need some proper reflection. I need my thesis-supervisor! Thank God school's in session in two weeks. While it might sound like I've gone astray a bit and found myself stuck in the academic marshes, my situation isn't as bad as it might sound. I have at this point a number of fairly clearly defined themes for my thesis.

My thesis will consider one or more of the following subjects: "Spaces of Creation", an investigation in the way that Cave recreates his personal environment in his songs and novels; "Nick Cave's Mythical Beasts (and Where to Find Them)", an investigation of Cave's interest in icons, both religious and secular, and the way he fashions himself as an artist-icon; "Familiar Cave Antics", which might become an estimation of family values as both the honest and satirical center of Cave's literature. Not too sure yet about this one, considering Cave's recent family tragedy. But it's something which runs throughout his work, and thus fairly interesting.

In short, excited to REALLY get underway with this thing. Now if you'll excuse me, Lolita is waiting.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten